Sunday, July 3, 2011

ProTools

So you have a few hundred dollars saved up and you already bought your MAC or PC. Now what’s next to buy, your DAW system and there are a few good ones out there. I have been in the same position and I will help you along the way so that you can see what works for you.

The very first DAW system I have ever worked with was Digidesign’s ProTools. I started using ProTools when Digidesign allowed ProTools to run on PC, which was in 1997 or 1998 I really cannot remember. It was one of the best stepping stones for me to learn and understand audio recording. I also interned at a studio before I went to college for music so that I can learn real life recording.

With every DAW system there are Pros and Cons. I will discuss a little about Digidesign’s ProTools to help you understand a little bit about the software. I am only going to speak about what works for recording and production, I am not going to get into detail about every aspect of the program. I am going to list 5 things of recording and 5 of production that I know are important to people.

Pros
1. Easy out the box set up and recording.
2. Recording is straightforward.
3. Easy to edit the audio you recorded.
4. ProTools now has eye candy, meaning it has a nice layout and better look since I last used it.
5. Digidesign offers a number low cost set up for pre-production.

Cons
1. You can only use ProTools software with Digidesign’s hardware.
2. You are limited to 32 or 48 tracks depending on your computer and with Digidesign product you purchase.
3. If you want to use this DAW for making beats, I would use something else.
4. Protools is a little buggy and there is not a lot of support for third party software that you would use with Protools.
5. There are some known bugs when using midi controllers with software instruments.
Here are some product links to help you get some information or if you want to buy a Digidesign Product

Digidesign Mbox 2 USB Audio/MIDI Pro Tools LE Interface
Digidesign Digi 003 Rack + Factory